TITLE

A Moral Sex Education in the Schools

AUTHOR(S)
Gordon, Sol
PUB. DATE
September 1981
SOURCE
Education Digest;Sep1981, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p5
SOURCE TYPE
Periodical
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
This article focuses on the need of adequate sex education in the schools in the United States. As a national effort, sex education has not been tried. The most optimistic estimates suggest that scarcely 10 percent of the nation's young people receive anything approaching adequate sex education in public schools. Of the remaining 90 percent, even fewer students are exposed to isolated lectures and basic facts about reproduction. It is suggested that sexuality programs cannot be taught without values. Sex education should be taught from the perspective that it is wrong to take advantage of another person. Schools must teach the value of equality of the sexes and of dignity and respect for all human beings. In the Salt Lake City, Utah, schools have taken leadership in offering moral education as part of the regular curriculum. Some of their basic principles which would also be a good introduction to a sex education program are: each individual has dignity and worth; a free society requires respect for persons, property, and principles; each individual is responsible for his own actions; and each individual has a responsibility to the group as well as to the total society.
ACCESSION #
18671949

 

Related Articles

  • Value Clarity, High Morality: Let's Go For Both. Harmin, Merrill // Educational Leadership;May88, Vol. 45 Issue 8, p24 

    Observes that students need moral leadership and guidance in sorting out their own values. Importance of striking a balance while clarifying values of students; Ways in which heritage of moral values can be promoted; Seven skills which play a part in living a value-directed life.

  • Direct Moral Education: An Experiment. Barden, Carrie // Education;Jan1922, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p296 

    The article reports on the direct moral education of students. It presents the main purpose of education, which is not to teach people with what they do not know but to teach them to behave as they do not behave. It argues that school teaches students about subjects they do not know except the...

  • Los valores del bosque. Echarri, Fernando // IEEM Revista de Negocios;02/01/2012, p14 

    No abstract available.

  • Los valores del bosque. Echarri, Fernando // IEEM Revista de Negocios;04/01/2012, p14 

    No abstract available.

  • Bringing Parents into the Picture. Lickona, Thomas // Educational Leadership;Oct2000, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p60 

    Discusses how schools and families can work together to provide a character-based approach in sex education. Challenges of teaching sex education; Advice for encouraging parents to participate in character education; Details on the experience of a health educator.

  • Values ed also tests teachers. Walters, Laurel Shaper // Christian Science Monitor;11/5/97, Vol. 89 Issue 239, p1 

    Reports that schools in the United States are focusing on character education and are seeking to promote teachers as role models in 1997. How some schools are making teachers accountable for behavior outside of the classroom; Complaints from teachers that schools are exceeding their rights; Why...

  • Moral Codes and the Postindustrial Era. Lesse, Stanley // American Journal of Psychotherapy;Jan1977, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p1 

    Editorial. Determines the evolution of moral codes of conduct in the postindustrial era. Absence of a meaningful future without an appropriate guiding code; Need to develop humanistic guidelines for corporate bodies and government hegemonies.

  • Leading Children Beyond Good and Evil. Hunter, James Davison // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;May2000, Issue 103, p36 

    Presents an adaptation from the book `The Death of Character'. Inclusiveness as an enduring subtext in the evolution of moral education in the United States; Adoption of inclusive accommodation as a strategy to neutralize conflicts; Principles of teaching moral values in school; List of values...

  • Social Stories: Tools to Teach Positive Behaviors. Lynch, Sharon A.; Simpson, Cynthia G. // Dimensions of Early Childhood;Spring/Summer2005, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p32 

    Discusses the use of social story for teaching social behaviors and values to children. Definition of social story; Considerations before writing a social story; Benefits of social stories for children.

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics