TITLE

Improved Weighted Inter-Cluster Edge Ranking (WICER) Algorithm for Clustered Graph

AUTHOR(S)
Gupta, Vishal; Gill, P. S.
PUB. DATE
December 2007
SOURCE
ICFAI Journal of Information Technology;Dec2007, p53
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
In response to a user's query, a search engine generally returns a very large and ranked list of Web pages. Weighted Inter-Cluster Edge Ranking (WICER) is one of the most popular algorithms used for ranking of such lists. It consists of two parameters, α and β, representing inter-cluster and intra-cluster edge weights, respectively. According to WICER, α should be greater than β. As these two parameters depend upon the knowledge of users about the topic they are searching for, this paper focuses on finding the percentage of cases in which α should be greater than β and vice versa. Research shows that in 21% of the cases, the value of β should be greater than α and for the remaining 79%, vice versa.
ACCESSION #
27799413

 

Related Articles

  • Surgical informatics on the internet: any improvement? Murphy, J.O.; Sweeney, K.J.; O'Mahony, J.C.; Johnston, S.M.; Conlon, K.; Keane, F.B.V.; Tierney, S. // Surgeon (Edinburgh University Press);Jun2003, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p177 

    Presents a study which tracked the change in performance of commonly available search engines and the quality of medical data therein over a four-year period. Methods; Results; Discussion.

  • New Classification Engines Provide Alternative Web Search. O'Leary, Mick // Information Today;Jan2007, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p37 

    The article presents information on several Internet search engines. As a Web search engine, Ask.com works much like Google, and the same search on both will usually produce similar results. Ask.com also classifies the results by subject, automatically grouping pages that have words or phrases...

  • Microsoft Research digs deep. Galli, Peter // eWeek;10/18/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 42, p1 

    This article reports that Microsoft Corp.'s Research division is culminating, with many technologies about to find their way into products. Microsoft Research teams in Beijing, China, Cambridge, England; and Redmond, Washington, have been working on search for years. But, recently, the research...

  • Web sites offer Google search engine. Galvan, Victor // Automotive News;12/13/2004, Vol. 79 Issue 6125, p16 

    This article focuses on web sites. Finding stories, data and other information on the Automotive News and Automotive News Europe web sites now is as easy as finding information on Google, the Internet's most popular search engine. Both web sites have added Google search functions. This means...

  • BETA WATCH. Albro, Ed // PCWorld;Oct2007, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p24 

    The article presents updates on Web search engines. Hakia, a new search engine in public beta, tries to make the highlighting experience better in two ways. Hakia's developers say the engine looks not just for the words in your query, but for the meaning. It also tries to match one's query with...

  • Is Search Disappearing? Hawkins, Donald T. // Information Today;Jun2006, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p33 

    The article discusses the changes in the search industry. The search industry of today bears little resemblance to the early commercial systems in the 1970s. Now, search is being seamlessly incorporated into myriad applications and augmented by value-added features. Any meeting, such as the...

  • Web Search: Emerging Patterns. Spink, Amanda // Library Trends;Fall2003, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p299 

    This article examines the public searching of the Web and provides an overview of recent research exploring what we know about how people search the Web. The article reports selected findings from studies conducted from 1997 to 2002 using large-scale Web user data provided by commercial Web...

  • THE WEB'S IMPACT ON SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION: OPPORTUNITIES, CHALLENGES, AND FUTURE GENERATIONS. Sandell, Karen S.; Hayes, Sherman // Journal of Social Work Education;Winter2002, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p85 

    This article examines ways in which social work educators who are interested in Web technology but not expert in its applications can use the World Wide Web. The World Wide Web is a tool to help manage the multiple demands on time and energy. Today, there are more than 250 million websites...

  • Grocking Google. Joyce, John // Scientific Computing & Instrumentation;Jun2004, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p14 

    Focuses on useful features of the web search engine Google. Advanced search capabilities of Google; Google tool bar; Google web resources; Special purpose indexes supported by Google.

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics