TITLE

THE NEW JET SET

AUTHOR(S)
Mehlman, Ira H.
PUB. DATE
March 1993
SOURCE
National Review;3/15/1993, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p40
SOURCE TYPE
Periodical
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
The article deals with the increasing number of political asylum claimants entering the John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport in New York City. Foreigners who seek political asylum in the U.S. have 93 percent chances of remaining in the country. In JFK, only 7 percent of the inadmissible aliens can be put to detention. The remaining immigrants are released onto the street and scheduled for a hearing. According to the law, anyone seeking political asylum in the U.S. will be scheduled for a hearing. The problem is most of these illegal immigrants do not attend these hearings.
ACCESSION #
9303040033

 

Related Articles

  • A very difficult fraud waiver victory. GURFINKEL, MICHAEL J. // Filipino Reporter;8/7/2015, Vol. 43 Issue 36, p33 

    The article offers information about fraud waiver, which is required of persons who commit fraud in obtaining an immigration benefit in the U.S. Topics discussed include the requirements to be eligible to apply for a fraud waiver, and the acts considered fraudulent, such as entering the U.S....

  • The Promise of a Subject-Centered Approach to Understanding Immigration Noncompliance. Ryo, Emily // Journal on Migration & Human Security;2017, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p285 

    Unauthorized immigrants and immigration enforcement are once again at the center of heated public debates and reform agendas. This paper examines the importance of applying a subject-centered approach to understanding immigration noncompliance and to developing effective, ethical, and equitable...

  • Animosity and Amnesty. O'BEIRNE, KATE // National Review;7/9/2007, Vol. 59 Issue 12, p18 

    The article comments on the U.S. immigration reform legislative bill stalled in Congress that President George W. Bush is supporting. Conservatives say the bill provides amnesty to illegal aliens without first pursuing more effective enforcement of existing laws. Analyses of the bill by the...

  • IMMIGRANTS VS. BLACKS. Jones, Joyce // Black Enterprise;Jun2008, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p38 

    The article focuses on the participation of a group of labor economists and immigration experts in an April 2008 debate held by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights on the issue of immigration and race. Specifically, the Commission wanted to know the effects of the influx of new and, in...

  • Immigration Restrictions: Overview. Issitt, Micah L.; Walter, Andrew // Points of View: Immigration Restrictions;12/30/2019, p1 

    The article presents an overview of emigration restrictions in the U.S. It cites several reasons why immigrants leave their countries of origin, such as employment, military conflict and political turmoil. Immigration reform has been debated by the U.S. Congress in response to concerns about the...

  • ON THE GROUND. Romano, Andrew; Ramirez Illegal immigrants tend to settle in border states and large cities. Where they live -- and how each state's senators voted, Jessica // Newsweek;6/18/2007, Vol. 149 Issue 25, p37 

    A map of the United States is presented, showing information on illegal immigration and how each state's Senators voted on an immigration bill moving through Congress.

  • National Interests and Common Ground in the US Immigration Debate: How to Legalize the US Immigration System and Permanently Reduce Its Undocumented Population. Kerwin, Donald; Warren, Robert // Journal on Migration & Human Security;2017, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p297 

    The conventional wisdom holds that the only point of consensus in the fractious US immigration debate is that the system is broken. Yet, the US public has consistently expressed a desire for a legal and orderly immigration system that serves compelling national interests. This paper describes...

  • Después de tantos años me deportaron. Proceso de identificación y deportación de mujeres inmigrantes no delincuentes. Romero, David Rocha; Ocegueda Hernández, Marco Tulio // Estudios Fronterizos;jul-dic2013, Vol. 14 Issue 28, p9 

    In United States, immigration laws punish with greater severity to non-criminal illegal immigrants. The fight against terrorism and the economic crisis gave impetus to the greatest punishment of all: deportation. Based on ten interviews with not offenders women deported in Tijuana, it was found...

  • Nation of Immigrants. Dalmia, Shikha // Reason;Jul2013, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p10 

    The article discusses the immigration system of the U.S. A brief historical overview of the immigration law is given. It is inferred that the first major restrictions in the country were introduced around 1925 after anti-immigration animus. Particular focus is given to the economic costs of...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics